Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Promises

"You found me. ...But so much of me is wrong, out of place. You might be too late..."
"Hey. You know me. When I make a promise..."
"...You...keep it. I do know how to pick 'em."
"Lucky me."
- Master Chief and Cortana, Halo 3

This week a quote from a video game series that will always have a special place in my heart! This is because E3 has announced that there is a new Halo game coming out! I'm super excited. Bungie, don't let me down. Don't make your fanbase a promise if you know you can't keep it.

But I've always adored the bond between the main character, Chief, and his AI partner Cortana. They're like a couple, but it's so much more since there's no actual physical element to the relationship. Well, I suppose there is. Cortana resides in a layer in the Chief's armor and can from there interact with the suit and the Chief's biological systems. If he dies, she dies. They're tied together in that way. She supports him with data and directions and witty banter, and he's the muscle, the strength that pulls them through and saves her.

But this quote is so fantastic to me. It draws on their whole relationship...to explain, Cortana is separated from the Chief at the end of the second game. He promises that he will come back for her, to which she replies "Don't make a girl a promise...if you know you can't keep it."

Men, take note of that phrase.

At the beginning of the third game, Cortana's voice tells the gamer that she had her pick of any SPARTAN soldier she wanted, but she chose Chief. He wasn't the fastest, strongest, or smartest, but he had luck, which was something the others didn't. The idea of luck and keeping the Chief's promise to Cortana comes up again and again in Halo 3, where the Chief is fighting against the Covenant (bad guys), the Flood (REALLY BAD GUYS), and to retrieve Cortana, who is currently in a Covenant ship that's been taken over by the Flood (at this point, there is really no way it could get worse).

So when he brings her back from the brink by fulfilling his promise and coming for her, their trust in each other is completely vindicated.

Here is the actual video of the scene from the game.


Seriously, WATCH THAT. I don't care if you don't understand everything that's going on, but pay attention to the way they interact. Oh, and the music is amazing too.

But yeah, Bungie announced the return of Chief and Cortana, which makes me a VERY happy camper.

But enough of that. I finally, FINALLY finished my project titled "Burnt Magnolias", which was a pair of fingerless gloves for my friend Ashlyn. I'm working on a hat/headband for my sister, then a hat for myself. After that, I think I'll take orders. If anyone is interested in me making something for them, please contact me and we can talk about payment and projects.

Still stuck with writer's block. Trying to force my way past it, but it's hard.

Newest episode of Dr. Who was INSANE!!! My brain blew out my ears. Not putting any more details up than that though. As River Song would say, "Spoilers."

Karate is going well and I really feel like I can actually get my orange belt this summer. I'm improving all the time, but I really need to work on my turns. If anyone is a practitioner of Sei Ren Kai and has ANY tips for how to turn in stance without destroying one's knees and ankles, I would LOVE to hear it. Specifically turning in kokutsu. Seriously, that stance is the devil.

Thinking about going to the beach tomorrow. We'll see. The water would be nice since it's like, a bajillion degrees. I might attempt to fry an egg on the sidewalk.

OH! There's a nest of baby robins outside my window. They're the cutest freaking things EVER. Except the momma. She doesn't like me. But the babies are cute. I've seen one, maybe two. Any ideas on what to call them?

Lately, I've been having a lot of really good talks with Jim. Not necessarily about anything bad or intense, but just...really good. I feel like I'm learning a lot about him as a person and we're growing closer. Which, considering how close we were before this whole dating thing is really awesome. But it's nice to sit down with friends and talk about just...anything. There aren't really boundaries, and the ones that are there are respected. More and more I'm realizing that I have a lot of friends I can do this with, but it's nice to be able to do it with a significant other. It makes me...happy. He's the Chief to my Cortana, as sappy as that is.

Song of the Day: When Will My Life Begin from the movie Tangled (which is an excellent movie and I highly recommend it to anyone)

Days till Birthday: 12

<3 Erin

1 comment:

  1. Nice post.

    Fyi, Halo doesn't belong to Bungie anymore. Bungie's moving on to non-Halo projects and the new Halo games are being developed by 343 Studios, which is owned by Microsoft.

    Also fyi, the video you posted isn't showing up.

    But yeah, I'm looking forward to Halo 4 too. And yeah, the Doctor Who episode was fun =)

    ReplyDelete